Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Raiding a Garden

This weekend hubs and I headed to his home town for a family event.

It was a fun weekend, but I was not at all prepared for the glorious goodness I would be sent home with from the family farm.

Let me show you:








and the garden it came from:




My husband's family sits on about 10 acres of land in northern Ohio. His grandmother, mother and his two uncles work this garden all summer long. The produce is amazing.

The minute we got home I got to chopping and cleaning. I made this heavenly number. The cucumbers were buttery and succulent and the tomatoes tasted like candy. I hate tomatoes and until this past weekend thought I could only eat them in Greece where somehow they taste better. Sadly, I am 26 years old and just discovered the secret: the best tomatoes are home grown.

I threw some feta on the salad too, along with crisp red and green peppers and I ate it with balsamic vinegar.



This salad tops the list of best things I ever ate.

and to top off the weekend, I met this little guy:



My father-in-law named him Avatar (don't ask), but he goes by Av for short. He is a bundle of love.

I hope your weekend was just as abundant with puppy love and summer veggies!

1 comment:

  1. What a garden! I totally agree with you about tomatoes. The best ones come from the garden. Your salad looks very yummy. I like having a garden but it's a lot of work. But so worth it.

    Av is very cute... hope you have a great day

    paula

    ReplyDelete