Sunday, March 7, 2010

Great Scott, I have a lunch Idea!

For lunches I like to make one giant dish-- a casserole, or a mixture of a few favorites. Last week I made turkey taco slop and it was amazing. It had two pounds of turkey (might use less next time), two cups of rice and a can of black beans. This lasted me through 6 meals.
Here is the price break down:
black beans (79 cents, but can get them cheaper if I cook them on my own)
rice (39.5 cents, I cooked my own and split it, freezing half)
Turkey (3.00 dollars, if I cut back my turkey and buy it from sams, this will be more like 2.00 dollars!)
Taco packet (save a lot has these for 39 cents! way cheaper than using my precious spices)
total: 4.57
divided by six meals=.76 cents a meal! GO ME. At the lowest possible price, a weight watcher meal is about 1.29. And it does NOT have whole wheat goodness.AND, I get way more, better tasting food when I do it this way. The morale of this story is steer clear or pre-packaged food.

Now for next weeks lunch, which I am pretty excited for.
Tuna Noodle Casserole, Jenny-style.
The hubs hates tuna noodle casserole. So this baby is all mine.

2 cans tuna (save a lot, price?)
1 can cream of celery or mushroom soup (I have a coupon! price?)
I pack whole wheat egg noodles (I have half a pack at home I might use. or I can use ww rotini which I get from save a lot for 1.29)
mushrooms (1.39)
Onion (.59)
peas (1 can .59)

I am not sure how long this meal will last me. And I am trying to find ways to chalk it full of low points veggies so I don't eat too many carbs. I will keep you posted.

What do you love to eat for lunch?
Are there things you love that your partner won't touch?

No comments:

Post a Comment