Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Flexitarianism

Flexitarianism is a semi-vegetarian diet focusing on vegetarian food with occasional meat consumption. A self-described flexitarian seeks to decrease meat consumption without eliminating it entirely from his or her diet. There are no guidelines for how much or how little meat one must eat before being classified a flexitarian.
I am really glad you don’t know me well. If you knew me well you wouldn’t believe that I was considering adopting this lifestyle.
You see, I love cheeseburgers. And I have loved cheeseburgers my entire life. I especially like them drowning in mayonnaise and ketchup. I like them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack. I like two or three at a time. I really enjoy them.
Lately, I have been a bit taken back by meat in general. I haven’t wanted to cook it, or order it or eat it. I still will sometimes of course, but generally I notice that the best part of my meals isn’t the meat—it’s the carbs, the veggies, the spices.
Take my favorite lunch for instance: turkey taco, brown rice, black beans and sour cream. I switched it up by browning some soy bits (sounds gross right?) with my favorite taco seasoning and not only did it shave off points, it tastes just as good. It might taste better, even. At the very least it is lighter and can be gobbled down right before work out without major pause.
There is a second issue with flexitarianism. I have a beast in the house. He loves meat. I vow not to sacrifice his meat experience just because I have chosen a different path. So tonight when we gobble down pasta, I will add some meat to his. And I will make him meaty lunches.
This is not to say we won’t slip in some grilled cheese, spaghetti, boca burgers and lasagna sometimes to minimize cost and promote health.
It has been an interesting journey so far. Never would I consider taking on the goal of minimizing meat intake but here I am, doing just that.
Have you ever minimized your meat intake?
How have your tast preferences changed during your journey?
What meat-free food do you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment