Sunday, February 21, 2010

Melting

This morning I woke up and contemplated the gym. This may not be shocking to you if the gym is already in your routine. For me however, this was mind blowing.

Luckily, I shared this desire over FB chat with my mom who was quick to join me: "let's do it".

To tell you how out of the gym-loop we are, I will mention that when we got there we realized the gym didn't open until nine.
Sad and jaded, we drove over to the krispy kreme across the street and ate our emotions.

NOT. You believed it though, didn't you? You thought, oh, yeah my hunger monster made me do that once or you thought, maybe this could be justified. I know, because I have been there.

But I'm not there today.
Instead my mom offered the idea that we go to this extremely expensive looking gym down the road. Instead of saying, "oh yeah,um, HELL NO" as I ensconced myself in the images of the toned blondes and perfect brunettes that I have seen parading in and out of there, I said "yeah, great idea". And I as I drove to meet her at Gym Number Two I told myself it would be ok. I had dressed for the fat girls gym-- where more than once I had seen a boob or two fall out of a swimsuit because the woman thought the treadmill+ her breasts+minimal support equaled a good time for all. And maybe it did. It made me smile. The point to this is that what you wear to the "fat girls gym"-- a place of security and trust and peep shows-- is different than what you wear to the "perfect persons gym", where we were in fact going.

When I drove past and saw that it too was closed until 9 am, I let out a sigh of relief.

We walked around the outdoor mall where the perfect persons gym resided instead. I would say we got a good mile in. It felt good.

Then I bought a pedometer and walked again with El Beastie, my true and close friend. He jumped through the piles of snow with glee, danced about the sidewalk and looked back occasionally, his leash fully extended, as if to say, "hey mom, you keepin' up?" And I was.

Goal for this week:
Walk dog three times
Work out twice
Go for the goal of two miles a day by running errands at work, taking the extra steps around the office and incorporating walks whenever I can (before work and after, during lunch)

I can still feel the outdoor air in my lungs. It is fabulous and hints of spring. I foresee a love affair emerging, me and nature, melting together, born again new in the coming spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment